Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Unexpected Laugh


Unexpected Laugh
Noel Laflin
3-21-18

One night, long ago, I mentioned to my folks that I was heading out with friends to see the new comedy, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother.

An hour later, and five minutes into the funny flick, I heard the distinctive laugh of my father some rows back.

He and my mother had decided to catch the show themselves – a nice, serendipitous move on their part.

Thus it was unexpected, this laugh I knew so well, but welcomed in the dark.

My friends and I chortled every time we heard my father snort with glee – which was often.  It was infectious.

Both my folks and one of those two friends from that evening are long departed, as are all of the stars of that funny film of forty years past.

But the distinctive laughter of that night, coming as unexpected as it did in that dark theater, is still a comfort today.

No comments:

Post a Comment