Sunday, March 18, 2018

Glutton for Punishment



Glutton for Punishment
Noel Laflin
3-18-18



By the last week, there were just the two of us.

A month earlier, two dozen other parents and I sat at the small desks as Pastor Dan introduced us to the curriculum his confirmation students would be covering over the next two years.

Having gone through the Lutheran confirmation process myself, so very long ago, I thought it only right to see what was being taught nowadays.

When I told my daughter that I intended to go to the adult classes, I could tell that she was nervous.

“Don’t embarrass me, please!” was her plea as we drove to her church that night.

“Oh, honey!” I replied, remembering what it was like to be thirteen.

Well, Pastor Dan covered several droll biblical topics that first night and I behaved myself in like kind by remaining quiet.

By the next week, his flock was half of what it had been at week one, but I had managed to put forth a few objections concerning creation, original sin, and the forgiveness of some really bad folks.
 
I think he took note of me.

When I told the kid what had transpired that session, as we drove home together, she just rolled her eyes. She may have been praying – I’m not really sure.

By week three, there were just three of us, if you counted Pastor Dan.  The other parent was a former Muslim-turned-Christian.  By the end of the night, I do believe she may have returned to her earlier beliefs.

The next week, it was just down to Pastor Dan and me.  Everyone else had bailed.  But, being a glutton for punishment, and a tolerant person of crazy ideas, I decided to keep him company nonetheless.

I am not certain what it was I said that night, but the fifth week – and all subsequent weeks were canceled.

My daughter was ever so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment