Saturday, March 3, 2018

Exorcising Relief


Exorcising Relief
Noel Laflin
2-9-18
One of the sweetest jobs of my life, up until one dark, rainy night, was that of being a security guard for a new housing project going up in lonely Chino Hills.
I would arrive on the job site close to five, take beer orders from the building crew, go to a nearby liquor store, retrieve several six packs, and deliver the goods.
The guys let me keep the change and tossed in a free beer or two or three every night.
The job was great as I wore no uniform, got to sit in my car eating homemade sandwiches, swilling beer, and read a lot of books by flashlight once it grew dark.
On the rainy night in question, I was deep into a very creepy scene from my newest read, 'The Exocist,' when someone rapped on my fogged up driver's side window.
Beer, book and flashlight flew as I screamed and failed about in my old '65 Valiant.
Outside stood Juan, my late night replacement, grinning and waving hello.
He just wanted to let me know that relief had arrived.
Juan had no idea just how relieved my bladder was.


No comments:

Post a Comment