Monday, March 5, 2018

Sign of the Cross


Sign of the Cross
Noel Laflin
3-5-18



There’s a spot at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, where the Little Colorado meets the larger Colorado River, which river guides tell of the mid-air collision of two airliners back in 1956.  They point to not-so-distant hillsides still littered with rusting debris.

I have never forgotten the sight or the telling of that story.

On this day, March 5, 1966, a British airliner broke apart over Mt. Fuji when the pilot veered a few miles off course in order to give the passengers a better view of the mountain. They were caught up in violent turbulence caused by tremendous wind gusts; the pilot lost control, and the plane broke apart.

Like the canyon incident, all were lost.

I was at the base of Mt. Fuji just a week ago today, but was unaware of the tragedy that took place there half a century back. It surprised me on a history site this morning.

I have often thought of the Grand Canyon crash while flying over Arizona, and always find myself making the sign of the cross when we catch sight of the river confluence way below.

Should I ever catch sight of Mt. Fuji again, my fingers and hand will know the drill.

No comments:

Post a Comment