Thursday, March 15, 2018

"No Idea Where"


3-15-18


Having dinner with my kid nowadays is a rare treat.

Whoever would have imagined that the simplest of things, a meal together, would be so valued? After all, we shared a thousand or more in the past – back when she was young – something that almost seems like a thousand years ago now.

But I do not begrudge the fact that she studies sixteen hours a day, nearly seven days a week, as she is in her second year of medical school – the toughest year according to many – and she takes her boards in less than three months; God help her.

So when we do get a couple of hours together to talk in person, go out for a great meal, share a beer together, it’s pretty special.

Such was the case last night, as she showed me the new apartment that she and Zac just moved into.  It is brand spanking new, high tech, very modern, very hip, and way cool. And it in Anaheim, the city I was raised in.  So it seems extra special to me.

“We might just be here for the next sixteen months,” she told me over dinner, “So, we are going to make the most of it.  I have no idea where we will be living after that,” she concluded.

It’s a sobering fact – the fact that I do not know where she will end up once medical school comes to its natural conclusion.  I hope it is not far away.

Those words: “No idea where we will be living …”

But until then, I will treasure the time we have here – even if those one-on-one meals are few and far between.

As I told her for the millionth time last night, “Honey, I am so very proud of you!”

And the best part is, she knows it.

No comments:

Post a Comment