Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Wine and Peanuts

 

Wine and Peanuts

Noel Laflin

11-8-22

There was a definite benefit to returning to my childhood home on Election Day – some forty-plus years ago - as it always meant a home cooked meal afterwards. I moved so often during the first decade of independent living that I never bothered with changing polling locations – but I still felt it my patriotic duty to vote. And as I was frequently hungry, I would go home.

I would time my going to the old neighborhood polling place just before dinnertime so that I could then proudly drive over to my folks’ house, announce that I had indeed voted, and then be rewarded with mom’s cooking. We would toast each homecoming with wine, of course.

Nowadays, I am more than likely filling out a mail-in ballot at my own dining room table, days in advance, with a glass of wine at hand, munching on peanuts.

I miss the old days, because even if the election did not go our way there was always mom’s cooking to help salve the wound. Beats peanuts all to hell.

But David is preparing steaks later on today, so there is that! I will provide the wine. It will help salve any forthcoming election trauma.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment