Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Keeping it Brief

 

Keeping it Brief

Noel Laflin

11-15-22

While cleaning out an over-stuffed closet yesterday, I came across an oversized briefcase that I used to haul around during my working days.

It had become a receptacle for all kinds of papers, pre and post retirement. I used to open the closet door, stuff what I thought was important in there, and promptly forget all about it.

Sorting it all out today took a couple of hours as I kept coming across a few treasures: an IOU from a friend who still has yet to pay me back, two funeral notices of close associates, my resignation notice from my last employer, thank you notes from three kids who liked the silver dollars I’d given them one Christmas (I am certain their father made them write them – but that’s okay, my folks used to make me do likewise a lifetime ago), a still-in-the-plastic-wrapped Camp Ahwahnee neckerchief from 1969, and our marriage certificates (two pristine copies) from nearly eight years ago.  I wondered where I had placed them … Glad no one ever asked to see one for all these years. 

Ninety-nine point nine percent of the contents have now been sorted, recycled, or ready for shredding.

But, I am keeping the thank you notes from the children, the marriage certificates, and the neckerchief that once belonged to a very good friend.

I don’t think that IOU will ever come to fruition.  But, hey, stranger things have happened – so I kept it, too.

And now, I have a perfectly fine, empty, oversized briefcase just calling out for new treasures to be stored and forgotten for another decade or so.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment