Sunday, December 4, 2022

Wildlife Sightings

 

Wildlife Sightings

Noel Laflin

12-4-44

 

One day, way back in 1969, I led a group of Scouts down to Deep Creek and had just mentioned to the youngsters (I was all of three or four years older) to keep an eye out for any unusual sightings of scenic wildlife as we neared the first good swimming hole.

 

Rounding a bend we stumbled upon one of the staff members from another council's Scout camp and his girlfriend high atop a large, smooth, sun-lit boulder in the midst of passionate love making.

 

Jaws agape, my young hiking crew stopped, looked up, and took in the scene.

 

"They're gonna get sunburned in some bad places," one kid finally ventured.

 

Another tugged on my sleeve and asked if this qualified as an unusual scenic wildlife sighting, and fumbled for his binoculars and nature notebook.

 

I had no immediate answer as my jaw was also agape. But I did eventually ask to borrow the binoculars.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment