Monday, December 12, 2022

Sense vs. Cents

Sense vs. Cents

Noel Laflin

12-11-22



When I moved into my first apartment long ago, I would drink cheap wine. The stuff was atrocious, but, hey, I was young, and it did seem to be a step up from Boone's Farm or Thunderbird.

As the bottles emptied, I would turn them into piggy banks.
I kept at least one still-full of pennies, pictured here, now residing on a dusty shelf in the garage. I think I emptied the others and paid for more cheap wine with change. Check-out clerks and folks in line behind me loved me, no doubt.
Being all pre1982 pennies (as I lived in that place during the 70's) I see that they are worth three times their value nowadays (due to the fact that they were 95% copper back then, and zero percent copper for the past 40 years).
I could buy some more cheap wine with the profit, once I remove the melted candle wax plugging up the pour spout.
Yes, my first apartment was the height of cheap décor and definitely bad taste, at least when it came to wine and romantic lighting.
But I take comfort in knowing that I had sense enough to save some cents, despite my youth and poor taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment