Friday, December 23, 2022

Infinity

Infinity

Noel Laflin

12-21-22

We're on a short cruise down to Mexico, and back, and you know it's Christmas break as our ship is full and I bet a quarter (or more) of the passengers are children; children of all ages, races, and languages overheard.

 

The kids crack me up much of the time as they scamper everywhere. I think they are all high on the fact that school is out, there's plenty of sugar to be had, and lots of places to ditch their parents.

 

A nine-year-old boy racing down the stairs stopped suddenly, positioned himself so that he could peer all the way down and told me he could see infinity! He could be right. I think he heard the announcement made earlier that the new Buzz Lightyear move would be showing outdoors this evening.

 

Two young brothers walking ahead of me out of the buffet an hour ago were dressed as elves. As it's nearly Christmas, it only seems natural.


I was seated next to a five-year-old girl at the ice skating show the other night when fifty tiny, brightly-lit, dancing drones suddenly burst from the dark to open the show - she was mesmerized. And so was I.

 

A teen, in the company of his parents and siblings passing me in a hallway, tapped on every door, hoping to wake those who would rather sleep in. He caught me catching him doing so and skipped the next door, looking suddenly serious and whistling like the innocent he was wishing to portray. The door knocking continued once we passed.

 

I remember cruises during recent pandemic breaks where kids weren't allowed. Instead, too many oldsters wandered about; Grinches, some of them. And not a one of them claimed to see infinity, let alone knocked on every cabin door he passed.

 

This voyage is definitely more entertaining in that regard.


No comments:

Post a Comment