Monday, December 5, 2022

Something to Drag About

Something to Drag About

Noel Laflin

12-5-22

 

My friend Nancy called me yesterday and said,Noël (she always calls me Noël), “my nephew Cody is performing in Anaheim tonight, do you want to come see the show?”

 

“Well, heck yeah”, I told her, having followed Cody, the nephew, by her stage name Crystal Methyd for some years now.

 

So, off we went to see Drag Queen Christmas at the Anaheim Grove. The show has been touring across America and has become quite a hit.

 

There were four ugly men holding large signs and yelling at the crowd as we entered the theater.  I have not seen these guys since we last did AIDS walks back in the 90’s. The signs said we were all going to hell, of course (sure glad I don’t subscribe to that silly notion), and that all of “us fags” needed to get down on our knees and repent. Getting down on one’s knees has always held other connotations, at least in my mind.  Anyway, as the crowd (maybe a thousand folks or so) were mostly heterosexual, I think the yelling guys were wrong about the make-up of the crowd. I was there with Nancy and six other of her friends, for example, and the six of them were all straight.

 

I remember one of the ugly men tried to convince us that our way of life was a sin as he announced that he was once a cross-dresser himself, before he found Jesus. His three yelling companions inched a bit further away from him after that pronouncement.  I then pictured Jesus hiding in the fellow's sister's closet and jumping out one day yelling, "Boo! You found ME!"  We poor sinners still standing in line chuckled at that, of course, as we imagined he probably was still wearing silky panties beneath his camowear. I also remember thinking, well, Jesus did look pretty good in a robe, sandals, and long hair, so maybe the fellow did choose an appropriate role model; although he kinda missed out on the entire “Love thy neighbor,” theme.

 

Anyway, once inside, the atmosphere was much friendlier. With Nancy’s connections we got to meet Crystal Methyd and friends. The show was first-rate and highly entertaining. It lasted for two and a half hours, too, but went by much too quickly.

 

I love my friend Nancy as she is cute, funny, and full of stories about her family growing up in Fresno picking crops for much of their lives, before she went to beauty school and became a hair stylist. She has been cutting my hair for the last twelve years. Nancy insists it’s been more like twenty years, but maybe that was just the wine talking.  But, like the old saying goes, only your hairdresser knows for sure. Either way, I have heard a lot of funny stories during whatever time frame one might reference.

 

And, all I know for sure right now is that I said yes to last night’s invitation.

 

And I hope the cross-dressing man with the sign might come across this musing some day and when recognizing himself, perhaps, get his panties all in a bind.  He missed a good show, too, by the way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment