Sunday, July 2, 2023

Hearing

 

Hearing

Noel Laflin

 

 

6-18-23

 

Despite a sinus infection that decided to take up residency in my ear canals earlier this week and render sound ever so far away, it's been a grand Father's Day.

 

There's been a fine meal already, with another yet to come, a discovery of a hummingbird nest, warm phone calls with family, and even though Krysten works today, we do have tomorrow by which to meet up and enjoy a meal together with David.

 

And I am glad that I recall a bit of sign language as it allows me to talk to myself. It doesn't help much communicating with others around me currently, so when they speak, I just smile, nod affably, and hope I don't appear snobbish for not joining in the conversation.

 

And as for tomorrow, well, we've got a doctor as a lunch companion to help with the inner ear situation, if needed. And if the hearing problem still persists, we're going to see just how much of her ASL skills Krysten still retains. It's only been since her freshman year in high school, so no problem!

 

 

7-1-23

 

It's good to hear again more clearly, so let's eat!

 

The sinus infection that led to the constant white noise in my noggin three weeks ago has departed and normal sound has returned - for the most part. And it's getting better every day too.

 

I suddenly noticed the click of the medicine cabinet when it closed yesterday, along with other everyday sounds, like the rustle of fabric, the sound of water coming from the garden fountains, finches chipping, the soft clink of my belt buckle, songs on the car radio.

 

I am not asking David to speak up now either, which is a relief to him as well, no doubt.

 

I am not advocating the loss of senses, obviously, but when one does (albeit temporarily) and it eventually does return like the prodigal son down on his luck, well, I can see why all is forgiven and the fatted calf is served in celebration.

 

We settled for hamburgers, but close enough.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment