Saturday, June 15, 2019

Fairy Lies

Fairy Lies
Noel Laflin
6-15-19

I was speaking to my daughter a moment ago when the subject of parties came about.
Specifically, we talked about the one she threw here several years ago when I was conveniently out of the country.
I still give her a hard time over that as I occasionally come across bits of confetti in the most unlikely of places and marvel at the old champagne stains that still mark many of the book spines over in the dining room corner and other odds and ends about the house.
Before we hung up though, and just to make her feel better, I confided in an impromptu party I had at my parents’ house back when I was young.
One of the attendees ran naked through the house shaking Ajax from the canister he found in the bathroom. I distinctly remember him claiming to be Tinkerbell and wanting to spread pixie dust everywhere so that we could all fly.
A week later, after my parents returned from out of state, my mother was baffled by the gritty linoleum she encountered everywhere she stepped. My cleaning of my parents’ home had been about as effective as my daughter’s cleaning of my home forty-five years hence.
Questioning me about it, I just told my mother that fairies had no doubt broken in and thrown a party.
Not much of a lie there.

No comments:

Post a Comment