Sunday, June 2, 2019

Don't Open the Door

Don't Open the Door
Noel Laflin
6-1-19

It’s four in the afternoon and I am still in the sweats and t-shirt I threw on when I got up this morning. This is unlike me as I would prefer to be out doing something.
But the yard work is complete and it’s a really grey day - think June Gloom - so shooting pictures is unappealing.
The places I usually visit to get away from people will be swarming with weekend people, so that is off the table too.
I have only opened the front door three times today and each time was a mistake. 
First, it was to be greeted by unwanted religious folk. The second time made me think the circus had arrived, as noted by the termite tenting across the street. I thought I’d retrieve the mail on the third attempt, but the strong chemical smell that’s doing in all living organisms under the big tent over yonder made me close the door. I don’t think the roustabouts sealed the flaps all that well, so the mail can wait.
But the day has not been been a total loss as I have spun a few yarns for both you and me.
Besides, I need a down day once in a while anyway just to recharge physically - or so I lie to myself.
And hey, a new book arrived today so there is that. It came electronically so I did not even have to open the front door a fourth time in order to receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment