Wednesday, September 26, 2018

National Comic Book Day

National Comic Book Day
Noel Laflin
9-25-18

Here’s a nod to National Comic Book Day, as it was those flimsy, inexpensive, and colorful rags that first made me want to read.
Yes, Mrs. Paden had much to do with it too I suppose. That is what first grade is all about after all.
But Dick and Jane paled in comparison to the likes of Archie, Scrooge McDuck, Superman, Green Lantern, and the like.
Even Classic Comics held my attention. It’s how I got my first glimpse into the world of Dickens’ “A Tale of Two Cities.” I especially liked that guillotine and the evil looking knitting women.
When we traveled east each summer, my brother and I took all of the comic books we owned and traded them with cousins along the way. They were fine barter for those our age.
I understand that one who collects comic books is known as a pannapictagraphist.
Although it was long ago, it’s comforting to know that I once might have qualified for such a magnificent sounding moniker.
I am just glad the word was never used in any of the comic books I once treasured and traded away, as it never would have fit into any villain’s conversation bubble.
Nor would I have been able to pronounce it.

No comments:

Post a Comment