Sunday, September 23, 2018

Memorial Board

Memorial Board
Noel Laflin
9-23-18

I saw a fellow’s picture on a memorial board buried in some photos posted by a friend who had just attended a recent school reunion.
And although I vaguely recall being told of his passing by a former instructor from that era, it still came as a small pang in remembering him.
We were not intimate friends by any means, as he was older and two grades ahead of me back then, but I remember his dramatic abilities quite well – especially his role in a junior high production of ‘Our Town.’
He played the part of Simon Stimson, the drunken church choir director and organist. All of the roles were memorable to the twelve-year old me in the audience that evening. But I thought he stole the show.
As the small choir practiced the hymn, ‘Blest Be The Tie That Binds,’ the surly director/organist would berate and chastise his fellow Congregationalists with drunken witticism. “Now look here, everybody, get it out of your head that music’s only good when it’s loud. You leave loudness to the Methodists. You couldn’t beat ‘em even if you wanted to. Now again, tenors!’ The role called for dramatic flair, and our former schoolmate delivered in like measure.
It was my first introduction to the play as well as the song. Both remain a favorite to this day.
Whenever I hear the old hymn, I recall the fellow whose picture is now on a memorial board. And I smile at the memory of a well-played role.

No comments:

Post a Comment