Tuesday, May 8, 2018

When My Turn Comes

When My Turn Comes
Noel Laflin
5-8-18

When I go, I’d like to leave this world like my old friend, Robin.
She battled cancer armed with some of the most amazing faith, hope, and love I have ever witnessed, knowing full well that her days were numbered.
This did not stop her from positive posts on social media, phone calls to friends across the country, and a deluge of encouraging card-filled words to hundreds across the land.
We became friends at age five when we met in kindergarten but lost track of one another until the age of email.
But I am grateful for the memories both young and old.
Some will know her as Roberta Lynn Brazzle, but I asked her once if I could still call her by the name I came to love sixty years ago, Robin, as Robins are such pretty birds.
She just laughed, and said of course.
Robin would call and send beautiful cards my way, as she did for so many. I have kept them all, knowing that she would be leaving us soon.
In return, I would dedicate pretty bird photos her way, and tried my best to sound as upbeat in my correspondence back her way.
I don’t know if I can ever match her faith or amazingly positive attitude facing an all-too-certain outcome.
But by her unflinching example, I will certainly try, if given the chance, when my turn comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment