Thursday, May 24, 2018

Clocks and Guests

Clocks and Guests
Noel Laflin
5-24-18

It’s a noisy house at the top of the hour here when four of our clocks strike their various notes.

My father’s hand built grandmother's clock chimes in at the top of the stairs, deep and melodic, first with the Westminster Chimes, followed by resonating bongs to note the hour. The sound reverberates throughout the house - even downstairs. I am reminded of dad every time, and on each quarter hour as well. I love hearing midnight strike most of all as I am drifting off to sleep.

Four little gold men then rise on their pedestals and proceed to strike their hammers on twinkling white bells. This clock can be found in the dining room. Their striking of the hour is then followed by one of six classical tunes. Bach’s ‘Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring’ is my favorite. When I have been drinking, I sing out loud to ‘Deutschland, Deutschland.’ Why that tune was placed in the repertoire, I am not sure. But there it is at four and ten each day and night. Usually it just reminds me that I’m out of beer.

The downstairs cuckoo clock has been going strong for over twenty years now. As I bought it used, I have no idea how long it has really been in play. It annoys some overnight guests, however, and out of kindness I will stop the pendulum upon request. I do miss the noting of the early morning hour when thus disengaged, not to mention the whirlwind renditions of either 'Laura's Theme' or 'Edelweiss.' But guests eventually do leave.

And lastly, there is the animal clock in the guest bedroom. I don’t disengage this clock as I like to surprise overnight sleepers with its wild elephant trumpet leading off at six each morning.

As I noted, guests do eventually leave – some, sooner than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment