Thursday, October 8, 2015

Nuts

Nuts
Noel Laflin
10-7-15



I have recently learned not to stand directly beneath any squirrel once he finds a new hiding place for his winter supply of nuts.
  
Let me tell you why.

Tarzan-like, the red, bushy-tailed guy that I found so amusing yesterday leapt from oak branch to oak branch, tree to tree, top of block wall to the rounded metal highway of a chain link fence - all the while clutching a golden acorn between his teeth.  It was about a fifty foot run and I was shooting photos as I followed.

He soon reached his ancient pepper tree home, jumped aboard and scampered to a broad bough some ten feet up.   Pawing about, the furry fellow searched for the secret safe of a hole, dialed in the correct combination apparently, and quickly stashed away the golden treasure – hoarding against the winter to come.
 
Then he liberally sprayed the branch to mark his territory before leaping higher up, eventually stretching out, yawning, and falling asleep.

Glad I was wearing a baseball cap, and always close the eye that is not sighting through the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment