Saturday, January 24, 2015

Thank You, Dear Teacher

Thank You, Dear Teacher
Noel Laflin
January 24, 2015



Eighteen years ago, I stood at a lectern similar to this and looked out onto a sea of friendly faces – faces of young and old, hopeful and sad – not all that different from what I see today.

It was also a memorial service – the one for my mother.

I wrote of this moment in a short story about our friend, Jack Schlatter. I entitled it “Tears and Inspiration.”
 
You see, there were tears for the passing of a great lady, my mom – and inspiration, as the eulogy I finally chose to use that day was also about another great lady.  It was the story that Jack wrote following the death of his own mother – a story that has been read by thousands and thousands around the word.  I know that many of you have read it too.  It is entitled, “See You In The Morning.”  And, as my own mother had also been a big fan of Jack’s some three decades prior, I could not think of a better way to honor her at that memorial service than to quote the words of one of her favorite teachers, the man who so inspired her son.

It was ten years before I was finally able to pass my remembrance of this occasion on to Jack.  By then, we had not seen one another for forty years.  To put that into perspective, that’s more time on this planet than some of you here today have been alive.  But once we did meet up again - well, time flew out the window for the both of us.  I was magically transformed into a shy, skinny junior high kid embracing a young dynamic teacher only twice my age as Jack was just thirty-two at the time. Einstein would have understood the relativity, not to mention enchantment of the moment. In fact, Jack loved one Einstein quote in particular and I believe it fits very well here: “Our death,” Einstein said, “is not an end if we can live on in our children and the younger generation.  For they are us, our bodies are only wilted leaves on the tree of life.”

I wrestled for two weeks in preparation for this short time with you all today.  Like preparing for my mother’s memorial, I sought out both scripture and poetry.  I looked to the great immortals in history for pearls of wisdom.  I searched my memory trying to recall all of the humorous, inspiring, and uplifting times with Jack.  What stories, either old or new could I bring to the table today?

Well, just one short story perhaps…
 
On Jack’s last visit here in late March, three of us went out to dinner.  There was Jack – along with my partner of fifteen years, David (whom Jack loved dearly) - and me.  Upon being seated at a local Mimi’s Café, Jack immediately whipped out one of his cards, handed it to our waitress, Christine, introduced all three of us and then proceeded to charm the very socks off of the young lady – only as Jack can do of course.

Within minutes, Jack knew about Christine’s major in healthcare, her boyfriend, her hopes, dreams and ambitions.  She paid scant attention to the other tables, as sometimes happens to servers when they have Jack Schlatter as a customer.

At the end of two hours, as we prepared to depart, I thought it would be fun to see just how awake, our sleepy friend still was.  So, I turned to the waitress and said, pointing across the table, “Now, Christine, doesn’t Jack look GREAT for an older, distinguished-looking gay man?”

Christine nodded enthusiastically, smiling broadly, as she headed back to the kitchen.

It only took a moment, but the words finally registered with Jack.  His sleepy eyes opened wide, hands slapping the table as he bellowed, “But I’m not gay!” And if looks could kill – I would have been dead on the spot.  Then he laughed uproariously.  In fact, we laughed about it the entire way home.

Fast forward to the present. As I was saying a minute ago, I was trying to prepare for this moment, and in doing so, what could I speak of? And then it dawned on me … re-read the man’s stories! Hear his voice anew as it jumps from the pages.  Seek out and gather every magic pebble laying untouched about my feet and fill my saddlebags like there was no tomorrow.
 
Do you see this book?  “Gifts by the Side of the Road” – by John Wayne “Jack Schlatter.”  Well, what you may not be able to see from where you are sitting are the all of the brightly colored small stickies attached to various pages.  For as I read, sipping and savoring the words like a fine wine, I kept finding and marking new insights previously overlooked in prior readings.  I rediscovered Jack’s love of family, friends, colleagues, teachers, students, principals, mentors, waiters, waitresses, bus boys, clerks, cabbies, train conductors, bus drivers, carolers, priests, rabbis, ministers, jugglers, tinkers, salesmen, dogs, cats, children, toddlers and babies.  He engaged everyone he met and then frequently wrote of the experience later in a style we have all come to know and love.  But mostly he wrote of friends and family – in fact, many in this beautiful gathering today have a permanent place in this small book – living gems whom inspired the teacher so very much that he felt compelled to sing their praises. You have a place in history, my friends.

As I turned the pages I chuckled over the semester-long woodshop production of a single misshapen but expensive doorstop, forever loved by his mother.
 
I cried over the passing of brothers and friends’ children.
 
I whopped and hollered with renewed joy and admiration for those overcoming immense obstacles: Brother George beating polio - Jack’s friend, Tally, a man with neither face nor hands but whose spirit never wavered, but only inspired all he met.
 
I winced with pain as Jack noted that he was still haunted by the memory of a slight he’d given to a fellow-teacher, long ago, all for the sake of “self-glorification.”
 
I marveled anew at his interest in EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY!  I wondered aloud, time and again as I poured over his writings, how he managed to observe so much, write so compellingly, and never tire of gently admonishing us all to do better.  And finally, I treasured once again his ability to understand the human condition so well and to have the ability to love us all so unconditionally.  What gifts!

Oh, dear teacher, you gave beyond measure.  I hope you know that.  And I hope you somehow now know that your gifts will be handed down through generations to come.

“And so” Jack wrote in preface to his final piece in “Gifts by the Side of the Road,” I come to the final pages of this book, but not the ending, for this is where it all began, and there will never be an ending.  One who spends his or her life with the young continues to live, even after he or she has left the planet.  That is why I have spent my life saying with great pride and gratitude … I AM A TEACHER.”

David and I need to head over to a Mimi’s Café in Tustin soon.

We need to find our favorite waitress, Christine, and tell her some very sad news.  And like all of us, I know that she’s going to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment