Thursday, January 22, 2015

Survivor's Guilt

Survivor’s Guilt
Noel Laflin
January 22, 2015



I am much older than I appear.  But I’m not letting on by just how much. Do you wish to guess?

As a point in fact, I am older than those of you reading this today - or for that matter, the combined years of any of you and the three fathers that preceded you.  We are talking centuries, my friend.  And I have the rings – as well as scars - to prove it.  But I prefer to keep those intact for a bit longer, so don’t get any ideas of trying to disprove my claim just yet.

I am a survivor of drought, fire, insect and man.  And of them all, man was the worst by far.  But I suppose some of you already knew that.  However, for those who may not know my story, come closer and share my shade as I enlighten you as to how things have changed in my little ‘neck of the woods.’  As you have no doubt deduced by now, unless you are as dense as the granite encasing my roots, I am a tree – a trustworthy fir – honest to my ancient core and a credit to my species.  Did I also mention that I was just a bit vain?  Ah, so be it.  I have lived long enough for that to be forgiven.

Now, in my beginning, the land about you teemed with greenery.  Oh, sure, you see some tall trees today surrounding this open plain, a plain once known as Lightingdale, but it pales in comparison as to how it once appeared.
 
And believe me, it was a ferocious gamble that one could even make it above topsoil when I first sprouted so long ago.  It was a veritable jungle out there when I was a youth.  Oh, not a tropical jungle, have you – I use the term metaphorically – but a jungle in the sense that it was a game of mere survival of the fittest.

Old companions of mine, now long gone unfortunately, told me how they marveled at my tenacity to live at all, given that there was such competition for sunlight and moisture.  Oh, sure, the winter snows were plentiful for the most part, but summers were not always so kind to us when it came to rainfall.   And the crowded canopy above, as well as all about us, was intimidating to say the least.  One had to push and shove his way to the top just to grab a faint glimmer of life-sustaining sunshine.  But, I was determined to live and grow – and I did.

As those first decades passed I was eventually assured of a place on this mountain. I shared this higher elevation with giant ponderosas, flame-resistant incense cedars, ancient oaks, sweetly scented Jeffrey pines, and other firs – all competitors of course, but good solid, upright friends nonetheless. Beneath us grew ferns, buck brush, monkey pods, willow and the occasional lovely snow plant. Our forest was abundantly dense with lichen-encrusted trees and rocks covering every rise and fall of the land.  And we also had this flat plain to center us, and the occasional lightning bolt to enflame us. But it is today, as I look down upon the openness from my lofty height, much as it was back in my youth.  Only, there were so many more of my kindred back then keeping guard as we pressed in upon this clearing …

It was also during this time in my youth that I first became aware of man.

The humans would come to our clearing every spring.  The older trees informed me that they had been doing so for many generations.  The men and children were as naked as the day they were born.  The women dressed in modest skins.  They carried little as they walked up from the deep creek below – the creek that was their highway into the sky.

For nearly three centuries I bore witness to the arrival of these gentle creatures who came to the coolness of the mountain in order to escape the desert harshness below.  They did not stay but for five moons each season before picking up their brightly colored baskets and babies and making the trek back down the steep creek highway once the autumn chill was well under way. But while here, they fared well, sitting beneath our shade, hunting small game, and collecting the nuts, cones and berries that were in such great abundance.  If you look closely – just over there by that stand of oaks, you can still see where they ground the acorns they so highly prized. The women crushed them with smooth stones into the gentle indentations that can still be seen in the face of that large flat rock.  They spoke softly to one another as they toiled so.  Children were taught the ways of their elders and grew as quickly as young saplings. The people of this era considered the giant bears – those that so freely and abundantly once roamed these woods - as kin. The families that migrated here each season never harmed grandfather bear – never partook in his killing – never ate the meat or wore the skin of their ancestors. Yes, they had manners, these gentle humans.  And I miss them.  I have not heard their quiet words for more than a century and a half now.  Nor have I seen grandfather bear in nearly that long as well.
 
Within a century or two, however, other men eventually took the place of the quiet ones.  We, as an old growth species, did not care for them at all.  They were strangely dressed, loud and disrespectful of the land.  They carried guns and axes and used both with reckless abandon – taking down stately friends and the last of the bear clan, not to mention any deer or squirrel foolish enough to stick around.

The new uncouth humans – awash in wild facial hair and stinking body parts - came in ones and twos originally, bearing strange instruments and taking measurements of our surrounding hillsides.  Then the loud men started to arrive in droves, pitching their ugly tents, shooting those few animals unfortunate enough to wander into our old lightning plain, pissing and shitting in the once pristine creek that you can still hear yonder.  They began to clear a pathway through many a stand of tree on the western slope.  The men then hauled them away, only to return some of my former comrades now misshapen beyond recognition.  Without reverence these men began to pound roughly hewed, sharpened spikes through my old friends, all the while laying heavy metal rails onto their bleeding limbs on this new devil of a highway they had carved around our mountain.
 
But this was only a preview of the real perversion yet to come.  And it came one day in the form of a belching, smoking, clanging metal monster riding the backs of my old mates.  The men cheered upon its arrival, throwing their sweat-stained hats into the air and firing their guns willy-nilly.  Birds flew, deer quivered, raccoons grabbed their young and ran.  I only wish that we could have run as well.

Thick cables were strung across the land and steam-powered machines began to vibrate in murderous anticipation.  The metal lines commenced to slice through the younger, weaker trees – while teams of men wielding wickedly sharp axes plowed into my larger friends.  The forest shook and cried in pain as one giant after another toppled to their death. I kept awaiting the axe men to lay into me at any moment – but the moment never came.  Instead, they rounded my generous girth with their sharp cable and used me as an anchor in order to haul those who’d already perished up the mountainside so that their dead bodies could be stacked onto wooden flat beds and hauled away for further slaughter at the sawmill but an hour ride away.

The holocaust went on for nearly ten years - even after the very last of the great bears was brought down.  Men came and went – tents were struck and reassembled season after season.  The pathway through the forest was ever lengthened so that more ancient stands of trees could be harvested and hauled away.  Lightning continued to dance upon the newly denuded hills. But by then, I was the only lightening rod within leagues of any strike.  And let me let you in on a dreadful secret – I prayed to be struck back then.  I had, what some of you refer to today as, survivor’s guilt.  I was all alone within the first dozen years of the last millennium.

One day, the metal beast did not return – as there was nothing to return for.  The forest was gone.  The birds were gone.  The deer were gone. And soon, the men were blessedly gone as well, uprooting their metal highway and leaving only the remains of some of my old friends to rot away on the narrow pathway.

What they also left behind was a stump-filled wasteland surrounding this patch of flat, trampled earth.  It took several decades for new growth to come about.  I sustained a sleepless vigil over the youngsters as they slowly took hold, breaking through the tough granite and reaching for the sunlight.  They had an easier time of it than I, as there was no competition from older generations to hinder their growth.
 
As the young ones grew and became aware, they questioned me in regard to the deep scars about my base.  With time, many of those scars healed over – but not all, as you may have noticed.  Some ran too deep and will stay with me for whatever time I have left.

Four decades passed before the next set of humans arrived.  By then, many new trees had filled in the once barren land.  It’s the only reason the people returned, I suppose.

But this time the humans were kinder – rarely carrying axes.  They have now come and gone in waves for the past half century or more.  They marvel at my girth and touch the old scars that will never heal and wonder aloud as to how they came about.  Many have not heard my story until now.  So, I hope I have been of some enlightenment – a rather not-too-subtle pun, considering where I reside, don’t you think?

The human youngsters of today do not come from the deep creek below, as they once did with their parents. Today they come via a different highway, or so I have come to learn.  But they remind me of a more civilized people, despite their clothes and laughter and silly campfire songs. They whiz past me on their winter sleds and saunter by on summer hikes.  Some stop to marvel at the beauty of the place and try to guess my age as they lay their small hands upon my bark.

But I am not telling.  I will only let them guess.  

No comments:

Post a Comment