Thursday, January 1, 2015

Regret Resolution

Regret Resolution
Noel Laflin
January 1, 2015





A friend of mine once confessed that for every regret he had for something that he had done, he had nine regrets for things he had not done: friends he had not called when intuition told him otherwise, a word of encouragement he'd failed to give at an opportune moment, and not saying 'I love you' as often as he should have. 

The ironic thing is, this man was one of the most encouraging individuals that any of us could ever hope to encounter - especially at an impressionable young age. He changed folks for the better every day of his life. And yet, he still felt that he could have done more. Like an Oscar Schindler berating himself at the end of that epic film, my friend often mused: "If I'd only given more ..."

Oh, dear teacher, you gave beyond measure. Don't you know that, old friend? And yet you have given me one last gift with this view on regrets. I am just now realizing it ...

You see, I sat alone one night, not all that long ago, obsessing on many of the mistakes in my life. They were of the one percent you spoke of - where we had done something we wished we had not. I even started a list, and wondered how I might seek long over-due absolution.  

Then - like magic - my mobile rang. It was you. We spoke for an hour and a half. We laughed over familiar jokes as we settled into an old comfortable pattern.  

You then told me that I had found my calling with my writing - the real purpose of your call. 

You then told me that I was loved.


You made me shine like a freshly minted penny! 


You made my night with this unexpected boost to ego.

You then left us three weeks later and broke ten thousand hearts - mine included. 

I tore up that old list and have replaced it with a more positive one. 

There are folks I need to call - words of encouragement that must be given. 

And, I need to say, 'I love you' more often. 




No comments:

Post a Comment