Thursday, August 5, 2021

I Know You

 I Know You

Noel Laflin

8-4-21

Of all the hummingbirds around this place, there is one, in particular – a slender young Allen's female - that is not afraid of me.
I am certain it’s the same one I helped to find her way out of the garage six months ago. She was pretty tired by the time she let me assist her to daylight and we were eye to eye for several minutes during that time. I think we memorized one another’s features. I certainly remember her. She was just so damn cute.
Perhaps we bonded that day and she has allowed me to be in close proximity to her ever since. I can be just a foot away from her favorite feeder, and unlike others, she still comes in to drink, non-pulsed even when I move – unlike all of the others.
Hummingbirds have no sense of smell, but their eyesight is light-years ahead of mankind, so perhaps she remembers me in the same way that I remember her, and knows that I pose no threat.
It’s just a small thing, pun intended, each time we meet, but it always makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment