Monday, June 14, 2021

Tiger Radio

 

Tiger Radio

Noel Laflin

6-14-21

As I recall, if you wanted to tune into a radio station while at camp back in the 1960’s, KFXM, 590 on the AM dial, was about your only choice.

It wasn’t a bad choice at all – just the only one – at least on the small transistor radio tucked away in our plywood dwelling out in Sherwood Forest, and a couple of summers later holed up in The Land of Nod (old Commissioner Area C – Cherokee, Blackfoot, Geronimo, and Tielroy).

I grew so fond of the 590 format, the DJ’s, the songs (obviously) that I would try to tune it in back home – hoping to catch a tune that would remind me of the summer of 1966, 1968, or 1969.

If atmospheric conditions were right, I could hold the distant station while I did homework in my room, or falling asleep - all the while hoping to hear something from the Grass Roots, Dylan, or Elvis, just one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment