Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Nuts About the Future




 Nuts About the Future

Noel Laflin

6-8-21



 

Acorns were scattered throughout the backyard last fall as I wanted to surprise the neighborhood squirrels. Since the closest oaks are across the street and down near the pond, I thought I would save the critters a trip across a busy throughway.

I started to gather pocketful's of nuts after strong winds knocked them out of the Coastal Live Oaks. There were piles of them around many of the old trees.

Of the ones I bought home, I'd either line up on the fence, or place on the stepping stones. Some I pushed gently down into the rich soil thinking the squirrels would sniff them out eventually.

The squirrels did find all of the acorns in quick order - or so I assumed.

But while weeding today I scratched my fingers on some sharp little leaves popping out of the ground.

It's a baby Live Oak, by golly.

Glad the squirrels missed that one. But if that oak seedling thrives, as I have no doubt it will, future generations will thank their distant ancestors.  And maybe even me.


No comments:

Post a Comment