Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Precautions

Precautions
Noel Laflin
2-18-20


I just checked the garden to make sure the tiny wildflower seeds I recently planted over the last week or so are undisturbed. I looked carefully for bird footprints and sharp little holes in the soil. There were none. Yay.

I took this precaution so as not to be disappointed when nothing sprouts, as did happen years ago when a towhee stealthily followed me – unbeknownst to me, of course – as I carefully planted Giant Russian Sunflower Seeds. He dug up and ate every single one. I found this out when I attempted the same task a couple of weeks later as the same culprit was caught sabotaging me once again. Then I wised up and planted the seeds under a covered planter on the patio and transferred the sunflower babies when they were six inches tall.

Now, the wildflower seeds most recently planted (lupine, bachelor buttons, etc.) are about 1/50 the size of Giant Russian Sunflower Seeds, but one can never be too cautious with the likes of clever towhees

No comments:

Post a Comment