Sunday, February 9, 2020

Crème brûlée

 Crème brûlée
Noel Laflin
2-9-20


I found a pristine book of matches gathering dust on a shelf in the garage today. Le Biarritz in Newport Beach was my first introduction to French cuisine nearly 40 years ago. Wasn’t crazy about escargot, but fell in love with Crème brûlée ten years later, when my old friend and boss, Rick Nicholson, suggested I have one. I liked it so much I asked if I could have another. As Rick was buying, why not? He happily complied.

It’s strange to find this today as Rick has been on my mind quite a bit lately; we are coming up on one year since his untimely passing.


And the restaurant is no longer Le Biarritz either; it hasn’t been in years.


But I am grateful for the small find today as a reminder of a happier time

.
Here’s to Crème brûlée, and more importantly, to you, boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment