Thursday, May 2, 2019

No Hammer Required

No Hammer Required
Noel Laflin
5-2-19


It's my folks' 77th wedding anniversary.

They married in secret so my mother could keep her job as a teacher.

A month later my father reported to boot camp and did not see my mother again for the next three and a half years.

They corresponded to one another fiendishly (I wonder if they would approve of that adverb... probably) throughout the entire separation and left behind a treasure-trove of letters.

I have mentioned all of this before, but just wanted to let you know, I still have a boatload of reading to do.

It’s sort of like breaking into a piggy bank, pulling out one old penny at a time. As my dad was fond of old coins, he'd like this analogy. And my mother once gave me a nice ceramic piggy bank which I destroyed with a hammer in order to extract the contents. So there is that image too. But give me some slack on that episode as I was only seven, and broke at the time.

In closing, if I may be so bold as to speculate, I will probably be as old as this anniversary date today before I am finished reading all of those letters.

But, I'll be all the richer for the experience, one precious letter at a time. And this time, no hammer required.

No comments:

Post a Comment