Monday, November 26, 2018

Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes
Noel Laflin
11-22-18

As it’s Thanksgiving Day, I have mashed potatoes on my mind - my mother’s version, in particular.

We as a family must have just taken those potatoes for granted, as it wasn’t until a friend of mine, Jim, joined us for the traditional feast some forty years ago and couldn’t get enough of those creamy, buttery spuds.  We all looked at him as if he were the young Walter Cunningham boy that Scout and Jem invited home for lunch in To Kill a Mockingbird.  Unlike Scout, however, we did not mock his indulgence. 

He must have had five or six helpings, and spoke fondly ever after of that meal, even if I do not recall him eating anything else that day.

My mother said afterward that Jim would be forever welcomed in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment