Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Irvine Park

Irvine Park

Noel Laflin
11-21-18


My very first memory of Irvine Park was probably sixty years ago when my brother made the family breakfast there one Saturday morning.

It must have been for a Scout cooking advancement of some sort as I distinctly recall the taste of Bisquick dumplings and the sweet aroma of burning wood.

I remember the drive to the park, the tree-lined roads, brilliant sun burning away the early morning mist, and due to the hour, having the place pretty much to ourselves that day.

The park has not changed all that much since then. You can wander and note wood grills heating up, smell the hot dogs sizzling, walk or bike the back roads, and marvel at how those old oaks still reach across a narrow lane and bring welcome shade to those who travel them.

I am lucky to live just minutes from the park and love every photo adventure while there. And there have been many. With any luck, there will be many more, as this is probably my favorite place to explore. It never gets old. The only thing getting older is me.

But, I will always be most nostalgic for that first visit - and the youngster who took it all in for the very first time.

So, wherever your travels take you this long holiday weekend, be it far or near - be safe – slow down - and if you are fortunate enough, take a back road or two, as nostalgia for just such a trip may be in your future too.

No comments:

Post a Comment