Monday, June 4, 2018

Olallieberry Pie


Olallieberry Pie
Noel Laflin
6-3-18

It’s early June and we are already anticipating the arrival of fresh olallieberry pie any day now.
It’s a short-lived event in these parts as the only place around here serving fresh ones is Polly’s Pies – and they may only carry them for a week or two at best, depending on how plentiful the harvest up in the Pacific Northwest will be.
I was introduced to this variety of berry many years ago when I was wining and dining a group of nurses from a busy OBGYN practice.
When desert time rolled around they all clamored for this strange sounding berry pie. It seems they had already called ahead to make sure they had some and to reserve a few.
I had never heard of it.
“Oh, honey,” one nurse warned, “you’re gonna like this.”
And she was right.
As my father loved to go to the Polly’s location outside of Leisure World – primarily for the cinnamon rolls – I made sure that he too became a fan of the olallieberry pie when mid-June rolled around.
I can still picture my dad grabbing hold of chairs, booths, and the occasional bald head to help steady himself as he made his way to our table in the back.
“We’ll have olallieberry pie and coffee, please,” he informed the waitress.
“Two slices coming right up,” she replied, ready to turn heel and place the order.
“No,” my father gently corrected, “make that two plates, two forks, and one whole pie please.”
He was so sugared up by the time we left that he only grabbed two bald heads to steady himself on the way out.
From then on I made sure to stop by various Polly’s throughout the county each mid-June and pick up a few pies for both the nurses as well as my dad.
Although now long retired - and being minus of both nurses and a father who once steadied himself with the help of unsuspecting restaurant patrons  - I still stop by local Polly’s each June to grab one or two for David and me.
One year I missed out altogether and never forgave myself.
Consequently, I just had David call to see when the berries are expected.
Mid-June, we were told.
We’ll be calling another location tomorrow just to make sure.
And probably the day after that as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment