Monday, October 16, 2017

Housewarming

Housewarming
Noel Laflin
10-15-17

Thirty-four years ago today, on a warm October Sunday morning, I spied a billboard just outside of Mimi’s CafĂ©.  It said, ‘New Condos’ - with an arrow pointing east.

Curiosity got the better of me as I followed signs that led to a new development just at the base of Panorama Hill, way out in East Orange.  It was so far out of town that roosters could be heard crowing throughout the old El Modena neighborhood.

Unshaven, dressed in a ratty t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops, I toured the models and discovered a unit that I might just be able to afford.

Within two hours I was writing a hot check; all the while explaining to the banking rep that this retainer would be good by Wednesday.  He just smiled and said to postdate it.

By Tuesday, I had begged, borrowed and cajoled my way to come up with the down payment, and then persuaded my boss to write a preposterous letter saying that I would be due a bonus at the end of the year.  The bank said I needed said bonus to swing the deal. The boss agreed to write the letter, on the condition that he be invited to the housewarming.  He also reminded me that there really was no bonus coming my way at the end of the year.
 
Escrow closed in twenty-six days and I suddenly found myself with both a new home, and a thirty-year mortgage.


This was a fine starter home, I reassured myself; I might actually stay here for the next three-to-five years.

Although that turned out not to be the case, as I extended my stay, the boss did come to the housewarming.
 
And as promised, there was no bonus – other than the crowing of roosters.

No comments:

Post a Comment