Thursday, October 26, 2017

Garden Glass

Garden Glass
10-23-17

Digging in the garden the other day, I came across a broken champagne glass hiding a couple of inches beneath a stepping stone.  There is not much to it – just its base and the stub of a stem.  It still has a pinkish hue.  I recognize it, as there used to be a set.  There is still one in the cupboard.
How it came to be here, however, I don’t recall.

Was it knocked from the balcony ledge by a tipsy, clumsy guest during some forgotten party?  Or for that matter, was the tipsy, clumsy guest the host?

Or, maybe we’d decided to bring in a new decade by tossing glasses against the fence at the stroke of midnight.  Naw, we always threw them into the fireplace.

Then again, I remember a New Year’s Eve party hosted by my daughter, while I was conveniently out of the country a number of years back; I still have household objects stained with remnants of spilled champagne.

Not knowing how the glass ended up in the garden is really all right by me, as small mysteries such as this inevitably lead to fine memories of good times past.

But as I just checked the cupboard once more, I now notice that all the former sets of champagne glasses are down to just one soldier each.
 

Consequently, from here on out, guests and hosts alike are relegated to Dixie cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment