Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Curious Kids


Curious Kids
Noel Laflin
7-18-17


Jesus, our neighbor, upon whose field I was about to trespass, was a kind and honest man. We bought fresh tomatoes, corn, and strawberries from his fruit and vegetable stand twice a week. And being next door neighbors, he always gave us a discount.

But I never knew that he raised goats. The wall that separated our properties obstructed that view.

I came to the realization one afternoon as I scrambled to the top of the wall and looked for our errant Frisbee – the one that had zoomed over Tom’s head and landed somewhere on the several acres of farm and grazing land. It lay a good fifty feet beyond, surrounded by curious goats.

I dropped into Jesus’ field and slowly made my way to the neon flying saucer, now being inspected by an ever increasing herd.
 
Upon seeing me jump from the wall into their domain, the critters quickly lost their interest in the Frisbee, surrounding and gently butting against my legs - nibbling at my shoelaces.

Retrieving the object of my errand, I slowly made my way back to the wall, all the while petting stubby horns on shaggy heads, and trying not to trip over shoes untied.

Although I have never forgotten the incident of forty years ago, nor our relatively short stay there, the memory loomed large as I drove past the old neighborhood recently.

Where the fruit and vegetable stand once stood, manned by Jesus and his kids, a large gas station had taken its place.

The former rows of tasseled corn, which once had hid a herd of four-legged kids from public view, is now a shopping center.

There’s a supermarket with produce of course. But it wasn’t as fresh as once recalled, and no discount was even offered.

And sadly, there wasn’t a goat in sight.


No comments:

Post a Comment