Thursday, November 26, 2015

Where are the Bedrooms?

Where are the Bedrooms?
Noel Laflin
Thanksgiving Day, 2015


When I first entered the house that would eventually become my home for the next three decades, I was confused.

As I stood with hand upon a stair rail - the steps leading downward - and scanned the open floor plan of a high-vaulted living room, dining room, and kitchen, I wondered aloud where the bedrooms were.

It was quickly pointed out to me that the stair rail, upon which my hand rested, might be a clue. 

I have never claimed to be too bright.

But I figured it out pretty quickly after that – this was an upside down house – not in the sense of a messed up mortgage – just the layout of the place.

And I loved it.

Said I’d take it, on the spot.

Been here ever since the move in day, that week of Thanksgiving, 1983.

Now, the great advantage of living in an upside down home, especially in the grip of any hot summer, is the cooler night air that flows off the garden and into the bedrooms sitting below grade.  It’s a constant twelve degrees cooler as a matter of fact.  This usually means a fine night’s sleep. Maybe the feather comforter is drawn just a bit more snugly in the winter, of course, but as the summers continue to warm each year, I’ll take the trade off any day.

Besides, after thirty years, the place is paid for.

And that’s an upside to an upside down house on any level.


3 comments:

  1. I was attracted, reading the first paragraph.
    It's interesting.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was attracted, reading the first paragraph.
    It's interesting.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete