Thursday, February 29, 2024

Leap Day

 

Leap Day

Noel Laflin

2-29-24

 

It comes as no surprise that those who happen to be born on Feb. 29 have the rarest birthday one could have — only getting to celebrate their “real birthday” once every four years. According to the History Channel, it's estimated only five million people around the world have this birthday.

 

My old friend Mike was born in a leap year. He invited me to his "third" birthday party when we we in sixth grade. He made a big deal about it, laughing at himself, which in turn made the rest of us laugh. He might have been the only friend that I ever had who had the rare distinction of being a leap year kid.

 

We went through grade school, junior high and high school together. We were in Scouts and on the track team together as well. We weren't very good runners, but that didn't really matter at the time. We just enjoyed one another's company, regardless of the circumstances.

 

We lost touch with one another after graduation, but reunited at our 20th high school reunion. He introduced me to his wife and said he was a cop in Chicago. The three of us hung out for the evening and reminisced about our childhood adventures. It was a good night.

 

When I attended the 30th high school reunion, I remember I so wanted to see him again, but saw his name on the "In Memory Of" board where we checked in and got our name tags so folks didn't have guess who they were talking to.

 

Consequently, that evening proved to be a little lonelier.

 

I don't know why I am telling you all this right now, but I guess being a Leap Day makes me think of the kid who used to make me laugh.

And I wish he was still around so that I could send him a card,, congratulating him on finally making it to his 18th birthday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment