Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Young Explorers

 

Young Explorers

Noel Laflin

11-13-23



 

A group of preschoolers and their moms caught me searching the rock walls around the old boathouse this morning and asked if I had found anything interesting as they saw me bending down this way and that way - occasionally zooming in on something - in this case, searching for fossils hidden in stone.

 

I told the teacher what I was up to and this excited her greatly. She asked if I could show everyone an example of a fossil, so I was happy to do so. There was a good one close by and others that I pointed to across the lagoon in another wall.

 

I told her it was like a treasure hunt finding the rare rock that some thoughtful mason had cemented into place decades ago just so that someone (like us, I added) might someday come across and marvel at, just as we all were doing right now.

 

She asked the age of some of the examples and I told her millions of years old. She laughed and said they were obviously older than her. I told her I had her beat on that front, too.

 

I am hoping some future Indiana Jones was part of the young crowd today. With an enthusiastic teacher like this leading them across the park, it's definitely in the cards.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment