Monday, August 21, 2023

Summer Storm

Summer Storm

Noel Laflin

8-21-23



This is a shot of a Cooper's hawk taken seven years ago today. I was pretty happy as it was the first time I was able to take a photo of one. I didn't even know what kind of hawk it was, so asked a learned friend on Facebook, and he promptly gave me the right answer.

Fifty-four years ago, right about now, three of us sat in a ramshackle cabin in the woods at Camp Ahwahnee waiting out a thunderstorm. As the shutters were open to let in the cool air, we first heard a whooshing flutter, and then watched, awestruck, as a large hawk (most likely a red-tailed) landed on a pine bow a few feet away from where we sat perched upon old bunk beds. I guess he or she was also taking a break from the thunder, lightning and pouring rain.
Neither Jerry, Addison nor I said a word until it flew off a minute later, each of us caught up in the moment of being so very close to such wild beauty.
As much as I like looking back on the Cooper's hawk from a few years ago, and taking pride in capturing a first time shot, the long ago memory of a summer storm, two good friends sitting across from me in a rundown cabin in the woods, and a most unexpected guest joining us for a few moments is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment