Monday, May 16, 2022

impressions

 Impressions

Noel Laflin

5-17-22

When I was very young, perhaps four at the most, I remember running across Flower Street without first looking for cars coming either way.
As I reached the other side, old man Schwab – who must have been near 80 years old then and perhaps, was the reason for my sudden sprint his way - grabbed me by the shoulder, turned me around and swatted my butt. Angrily, he cried out, “Don’t you ever cross the street without looking again!”
I think there was more surprise than tears on my part. He then said to come on inside where his old wife handed me a glass of cold lemonade.
And when later told about the episode, my mother thanked Mr. Schwab profusely.
Neighbors, whose homes we were welcomed into, without even a knock in those days, just took it upon themselves to be good stewards of all of the neighborhood’s youngsters – even if it involved a reprimanding, regardless of parental consent.
There’d probably be restraining orders and lawsuits flying nowadays.
I do not hold the old man, now long gone but not forgotten, at fault for his intervention that hot summer day. Rather, I thank him for that valuable lesson, which has never been lost on me. I still picture old man Schwab and his firm admonition whenever crossing a street. I think I have done so all my life. And it’s probably saved my life on more than one occasion.
Needless to say, his actions made quite the lasting impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment