Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Keep Aiming for the Tree

 

Keep Aiming for the Tree

Noel Laflin

3-15-22



I know for certain that spring has finally arrived in my garden as the bumble bees have reclaimed the hollowed out interior of the old dead plum tree as home once again.

They were here last year, showing up in spring, making my presence precarious when around that old stump. Then they pulled up stakes, flew off one day, and disappeared last fall. I immediately got caught up on some overdue yard maintenance.

But, daylight savings must have been their signal to return and set up headquarters once more.

And so, I weed and water there a bit more carefully again.  Fortunately, their presence is easily detected by the loud buzzing, giving me time to duck or jump out of their flight path when they come lumbering in, lining up their approach, like a drunken B52 bomber squad, aiming for the hole in the tree. Somehow they never miss their target.

Better that dead old plum tree than me, I suppose.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment