Sunday, December 5, 2021

Roadside Distraction

 

Roadside Distraction

Noel Laflin

December 5, 2021





 

I have posted about this old stone cabin forlornly sitting a couple of hundred yards off the 15 Highway in Newberry Springs twice before, so forgive me for doing so again today. But I am always intrigued when I still see it standing.

Yes, that roof is looking even worse than the first time I photographed it three years ago, and there is more graffiti on the outside too, as noted here in a shot on Thursday. But damn, those old stone walls still appear strong. And those very stones most likely sat at the bottom of the massive lake that once covered this entire region some twenty thousand years ago. So everything is relative, I suppose, where timelines are concerned.

I told David that the next time we travel east, or west, we are detouring off on Harvard Rd. and drive the half mile or so that will take us up to the dilapidated structure so that we can look inside and see the damage, as well as the resilience up close.  Maybe there will be clues as to when it was built, and by whom.

Until then, the cabin remains just another mysterious, and mostly overlooked roadside distraction – but one that continues to intrigue, at least to me.

I wish the stones could talk.

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment