Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Seeking Mr. Emerson's Opinion

 Seeking Mr. Emerson's Opinion

Noel Laflin

10-19-21


"Nature always wears the color of the spirit."

Ralph Waldo Emerson


It's early morning and I'm listening to a cricket who's taken up permanent residency behind the refrigerator, a rooster crowing in a neighbor's yard, hummingbirds squabbling over territory out front in the walkway, and a flock of noisy parrots passing overhead. All the while, there's a bluebird drying its wings after a bath on the balcony.

Judging by the sight of the bluebird, Emerson obviously got the part about the colors right, but if he were around today - Mr. Emerson, that is - I'd invite him over, offer him my chair (along with a cup of coffee, of course), and ask him to describe the sounds of nature as well.

I'd sure like his take on it.

Meanwhile, I need more coffee, and whilst in the kitchen, remind the cricket to give it a rest for a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment