Sunday, December 13, 2020

Wooden Soldier

 

 Wooden Soldier

Noel Laflin

12-17-20



I just read that today is the day that The Nutcracker ballet was performed for the first time in St. Petersburg, Russia (1892). The Czar loved it, but the critics hated it, which reminds me that when I was in the first grade, our school’s Christmas program included a piece from The Nutcracker ballet.

 

Since I was the tallest boy in the class I was chosen to be the wooden toy soldier. As chance would have it, a friend of mine had the outfit needed. Why did Elliot have such an outfit? I have no idea. But as he went to a different school, which was going with another holiday theme apparently, I would not be depriving him of similar Christmas glory. And as no one else in our class had ready access to a cool wooden toy soldier outfit, I was it.

 

As rehearsals were held each afternoon leading up to the big night, I would slip behind the upright piano in the corner of the room and change from me into Mr. Nutcracker. I was always afraid someone would catch me in my underwear as I undressed, so I was quick about the transformation.

 

I guess the pageant was a hit as I have vague memories of peers, parents, and siblings dutifully applauding as I stiffly marched about the stage trying my dandiest to not bump into the tiny ballerinas traipsing all about. As none of us had speaking lines, and I did not knock anybody into the orchestra pit, my first venture into show biz was a solid success.

 

I bet the Czar, had he still been around, would have liked it too. And, to heck with critics.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment