Saturday, May 30, 2020

Don't Tell the Oaks

Don't Tell the Oaks
Noel Laflin
5-29-30


This variety of succulent, dudleya lanceolata, commonly referred to as lanceleaf liveforever, is my favorite plant in Irvine Park. But don’t tell the ancient oaks that.

I thought that there were only two of them, the dudleya's that is, in the entire park, sitting in regal splendor on a rocky throne high above the oak-filled valley far below.

Then, out of curiosity, I walked over the rocky ledge, just a bit, from where the royal couple hold springtime court and counted at least two dozen of their offspring dotting the slope below - all in glorious color.

Seeds from the pair above have been rolling down the hill, for years apparently, and taking root steadfastly, blooming their little heads off, quite literally right now.

There’s been a lot of generational liveforever begatting going on behind my back all these years, I guess.

It was a glorious find, at least to this unabashedly geeky nature lover.

I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me feel. But don’t tell the ancient oaks that either as they seem to live forever too and have been known to hold grudges.

No comments:

Post a Comment