Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter Sunday

Easter Sunday
Noel Laflin
4-12-20
If I was watching the news right now, I would note that this is an Easter Sunday unlike any in my lifetime.
But as it is Easter Sunday, the news is off currently, and we carry on as if it is just another Easter Sunday – except we have rain coming down at the moment – something unusual for this day out our way; although, now that I think about that, I do remember an Easter downpour some twenty years ago. It wrecked the backyard Easter egg hunt for a while. But the sun eventually did come out, and the children were happily scampering about grandmother May’s lush garden. They liked finding my hidden plastic eggs especially, as I would fill mine with coins and paper currency. One even held the likeness of a Jackson. It made one seven-year-old very happy, as I recall.
Today’s Easter activities include David studying up on gardening ideas – something in which I am delighted to share with him. In fact, we have seeds drying out on paper towels and platters of cuttings scattered about sunny locations throughout the house, just waiting for more tiny roots to appear so that they can be transplanted to pots in the garden. More potting soil has already been ordered through Amazon – a first for this kind of delivery; usually its books delivered via my iPad. But strange times call for strange solutions.
So, we plan for a future in an uncertain future. But, that’s life.
Meanwhile, I type this on my laptop while ear buds connected to my iPhone deliver the tunes of Aaron Copeland to my brain. Good music is always a comfort in trying times. Rimsky-Korsakov's Russian Eastern Festival Overture will be coming up shortly - it's a favorite and seems appropriate for the day.
And so, this is how we are celebrating Easter Sunday 2020.
I just pretend it’s twenty years ago, waiting for the rain to stop, so that I can watch the expression on a seven-year-old's face when they find a certain egg that I was sure I had hidden better. But never underestimate the young.
Oh, hey, the song just switched to a Handel tune.
Hallelujah indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment