Monday, December 10, 2018

Ethel James

Ethel James
Noel Laflin
12-10-18

Ethel James was a petite woman who painfully shuffled across any room as she had contracted back in her youth.
She was our neighbor for many years, living with her sister and brother-in-law in the house next door.
Over the years, she gave us, the Laflin kids, ready access to her candy jar, the one always filled with chocolate covered peanut clusters – our first puppy - and her unyielding love, even after the time I made fun of her shuffle, showing off my version of it to my sister one afternoon. My mother caught me doing it and I have never forgotten the scolding. Children can be so stupid sometimes.

That puppy grew up and lived a long life even after Ethel, Janet, and Joe moved away.
The candy jar went with them too unfortunately.
But now, thanks to David and Susi, we have our own crystal glass candy dish - just like the one Ethel had some sixty years ago, and it has just been filled with chocolate covered peanut clusters – and memories of a lovely lady who inadvertently enlightened me to the gift of just being able to walk, and not shuffle across any room.
This first bite is for you, Ethel James.

No comments:

Post a Comment