Monday, May 16, 2016

Cup Waving





Cup Waving
Noel Laflin
5-16-16

I had a vision of my dad just now,
Seated in his favorite chair, waving an empty coffee cup in the air.
I suppose the vision came about as it was me 
Who did the cup waving this time.
You see, my cup was empty and I, 
Having a nice warm computer in my lap,
Couldn’t resist the urge of being waited upon –
Let alone losing the warmth of that laptop.
My dad, minus the computer, did the cup waving routine
On a regular basis his last few years.
But he was an old man by then,
Bent low with age, bad eyes, bad knees –
He deserved being waited upon.
And while you were refilling his cup –
(He did in a pot or two of the hot, black brew for ninety years) –
Dad would ask if there were any cookies lying about.
I am not to that point yet –
As my recent cup waving was done purely out of laziness.
But I should have asked for cookies nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment