Thursday, May 21, 2015

Silent Sentry

Silent Sentry
Noel Laflin
5-21-15



There is a beautifully carved white marble angel standing atop a stone pedestal and supporting column, who looks for all the world as if she might have just flown in through the large mausoleum window long ago, and has stood in solemn, silent repose ever since. She will still be there, no doubt, come Memorial Day.
 
It will be uncharacteristically boisterous outside for an hour or two mid-morning, as speeches will be delivered just outside the old iron doors encasing this hallowed hall, and guns will be fired in remembrance of those who have fallen in service to their country.

But the crowds will then depart, the plethora of flags removed by end of day, and a returning sense of peace will prevail once again.

I like to visit the place during this latter part of the afternoon.  I’ll pay tribute to my folks, whose graves lie resting beneath a shady tree.  I’ll watch as a pickup truck slowly moves about the narrow lanes and volunteers recapture the last of the banners and reverently store them away until next year at this time.

Strolling across the grass-filled graveyard, I’ll end my visit to Loma Vista Cemetery by paying homage to the watcher within the mausoleum.  I discovered her years ago quite by accident and have been drawn to her ever since.

I will probably have the place all to myself, as so often happens each Memorial Day. This suits me just fine.  There will be no one there to see me salute this silent sentry – as that is a private moment of course. 

2 comments:

  1. my Mother is Buried out at Loma Vista, and My grandparents. . . .
    My dad will be buried next to my mother in future years

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful place, Dave. Frank and Grace Moore - Ahwahnee's original ranger and cook team are also there.

    ReplyDelete