Monday, July 2, 2012

Turning The Corner


TURNING THE CORNER


BY NOEL LAFLIN


July 1, 2012


I tried to leave home and venture out on my own when I was quite young. Now, I wasn’t upset with my family as I recall – I just wanted to see how far I could get and what I might encounter in the great beyond – just around the corner six houses away. Besides, my best pal and neighbor, Ron, decided to tag along. With the blessing of my mother, she helped us fill the little wagon with essentials needed for such an endeavor. The basics included some cookies, a jar of peanut butter, an old blanket and my teddy bear. I don’t remember what all Ron threw in – he may have just been relying on my stock.

With a fearless yet tear-less farewell, we bid my mom goodbye. She stood at the edge of the driveway in front of our old home and waved as she wished us well. Ron and I took turns slowly pulling the wagon down the sidewalk as we counted off the neighbors’ homes. At the sixth and last house, which happened to take us to the corner, we paused, startled by the quickly moving traffic and the unfamiliar terrain. Looking first at one another and then at our meager supplies, Ron and I realized that we were already missing our families and the comfort of home. And so, without a word, we slowly turned the wagon around and headed back. My mother, who had never left the driveway, helped us unpack and then made us lunch – saying that it was so good of us to return when we did as this was the last of the peanut butter.

The next time I decided to leave home, I succeeded. I had a bigger wagon by then – an El Camino. It held more things too - like a bed, some clothes, a lamp, a desk, boxes of knickknacks, and a familiar looking teddy bear my mom had tucked away within one of those boxes. This time I made it all the way around a familiar looking corner. And as I made the turn, I spied my mother in the rear view mirror, still standing in the driveway outside my childhood home. She was wishing me well with her waving arm.

It dawned on me that I was going to need more than a teddy bear and a jar of peanut butter this time.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy your amazing writing ability ...you so accurately described a day in Anaheim back in the 60s and 70s.... I remember Flower Street ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this as it reminded my of my own 'runaway' experience in 1968. My little brother and I packed the red wagon and set out for a new life at Irvine park. The only explanation was 'adventure'. Mom made us 'hobo sticks' and packed the bandana with provisions. We told her not to worry, we would catch fish and live in a cave. Farewell.....bye mom.....We were back home within the hour and camped in the backyard that night. great memory. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds apparently think alike! Thanks for this note. What great story to pass along. Long live little red wagons and the children who pull them.

      Delete