Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Brief Guide To These Stories



My 60th birthday gift from Krysten.  That's me eying my brother's bike -1956.


Not all of the tales are about Camp Ahwahnee.  It started out that way...but later turned into one site that could host more of my writing, even if it had nothing to do with a forgotten summer camp.  But, in the back of my mind, memories of the ten years spent at the old Scout camp (now long gone unfortunately) are seldom far away.  Our youth magnifies everything, doesn't it?  Ah, nostalgia...whether it be for beloved friends, lovers, family, old neighbors, teachers, pets or the sweet aroma of butterscotch and vanilla cast about the forest by giant Jeffrey pines on a warm summer day - well, it all blends and blurs the past quite nicely for me.  And thus the stories evolve over time.  Some tales you just have to try and put into words.

And then there are all of the other personal remembrances - dusted off and parked here as I did not know where else to put them - the earliest pieces were written in the Fall of 2000. I suppose I could have started another blog site to keep things separated...but I was lazy.  And, in retrospect, I like all of my words in one place - one place that friends can visit over time, in the event that they want to know just a little bit more about me and what makes me tick.

Finally, these tales are also for my family - David, Krysten, Brenda, Bob, Susi, Matt, Cory and Nicole.  I thought you'd like to know a little more about why I am the way I am - what makes me laugh - what makes me cry - what keeps me awake at night.  Perhaps a brief glimpse into the old man's past, at least the way I've colored it, will bring a knowing smile to your lips or maybe even an unexpected wince.  Who knows?  I will let you all be the judge of that.

OK, that's it.  Enough explanation.  Go ahead and explore if you like.  Welcome to my world - my family - my friends - my stories of a summer camp that once was and childhood memories that forever keep me company.

With David and Krys - June 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment